Three suspected suicide bombers who attacked the Chinese consulate in the Pakistani city of Karachi on Friday were killed before they were able to enter the facility, the police chief of the city of Karachi said.
“There were three attackers and all three have been killed … They could not even get in the compound. They tried to get into the visa section,” the police chief, Amir Shaikh, told reporters.
Two policemen were killed in the attack which was claimed by the separatist Balochistan Liberation Army insurgent group.
All 21 Chinese staff in the country’s consulate in Pakistan’s southern city of Karachi are safe after an attack by suicide bombers and have been moved to a safer location, Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said.
“The attackers couldn’t hurt any of them, nor they could take hostage any of them,” Qureshi told a news conference in Islamabad, the Pakistani capital, adding that the 21 consulate staff had been shifted to a safer place.
The consulate is located in the affluent Clifton neighborhood, along with those of several other nations.
“There were three suicide attackers,” Jiand Baloch of the Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA), which also describes itself as the Baloch Liberation Army, told Reuters by telephone. “They stormed the Chinese embassy in Karachi. China is exploiting our resources.”
Neighboring China is Pakistan’s closest ally and its main benefactor, ploughing in billions of dollars in infrastructure projects, as part of its vast Belt and Road initiative.
TV channel Geo said police had surrounded the attackers inside the consulate. The channel earlier broadcast images of a plume of smoke, apparently sent billowing into the air by the prior blast.
— CNBC contributed to this report.