The father of Otto Warmbier wants North Korea to be listed as a state sponsor of terrorism.
CINCINNATI — Otto Warmbier’s mother and sister ran off the plane when they first saw him lying on a stretcher at Lunken Airport in Cincinnati, Otto’s father Fred Warmbier said in an interview on Fox and Friends on Tuesday morning.
After being imprisoned by the North Korean government for 17 months, Warmbier, 22, was evacuated from that reclusive dictatorship — in a coma — on June 13. He was returned home to his family in Cincinnati, where he died less than a week later.
“Otto was jerking violently, making these inhuman sounds,” said Fred Warmbier.
“Otto had a shaved head. He had a feeding tube coming out of his nose. … He was blind, he was deaf. As we looked at him and tried to comfort him, it looked like someone had taken a pair of pliers and re-arranged his bottom teeth.”
More: University of Delaware cuts ties with professor who said Warmbier ‘deserved’ to die
More: Professor: Otto Warmbier got ‘what he deserved’
Fred and Cindy Warmbier, of suburan Wyoming, Ohio, said they decided to speak out now because they feel that North Korea is being painted as a victim in global politics right now.
“North Korea is not a victim. They are terrorists,” Fred Warmbier said.
Fred Warmbier said he and his wife were astounded to learn that North Korea is not listed as a state sponsor of terror.
“We owe it to the world to list North Korea as a state sponsor of terror.”
“They destroyed him,” said Cindy Warmbier.
“The fact that Otto was alone all that time was inexcusable.”
Hundreds paid tribute to Otto Warmbier, who died Monday afternoon, at Wyoming High School in Wyoming, Ohio. Warmbier had been imprisoned in North Korea since Jan. 2016, when he was 22. He returned last week to his family in a coma.
Otto Warmbier went to North Korea with Young Pioneer Tours, a China-based tour company. He was arrested Jan. 2, 2016, in Pyongyang, the nation’s capital.
More: Dennis Rodman suggests he helped win Otto Warmbier’s release from North Korea
More: North Korea denies torturing Otto Warmbier
He was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor for allegedly stealing a poster from a staff-only section of a hotel in North Korea. In a televised statement in March 2016, Otto apologized and said he was impressed by the country’s “fair and square legal procedures” and its “humanitarian treatment of severe criminals like myself.”
After Otto Warmbier returned to Cincinnati in June, doctors said he did not have any broken bones or marks on his body other than those which indicated medical treatment.
The doctors also said they found no indication of botulism — the explanation North Korean officials gave as leading to the coma — although it is likely the toxin would no longer be in the body after more than a year.
President Trump said Otto Warmbier was “tortured beyond belief,” in a tweet after the interview aired.
Relations between the United States and North Korea have rarely been worse since the Korean War in the 1950s, when U.S. troops fought with South Korea against forces from the North.
More: Hometown remembers Otto Warmbier, ‘one of our sons.’
More: Medical mysteries surround end of Otto Warmbier’s life
Today the stakes couldn’t be higher. North Korea, an isolated nation ruled by a dictator, has an arsenal of nuclear weapons and missiles that can reach U.S. allies in the region, and possibly the U.S. mainland.
The rhetoric exchanged by Trump and Kim Jong Un are the most bellicose ever between leaders of the two countries. Trump this month dismissed Kim as “rocket man” and threatened to destroy North Korea. Kim responded by calling Trump a “dotard” and compared him to a frightened dog. On Friday, Trump called Kim a “madman.”