‘Bachelor in Paradise’ Controversy: All the Details (So Far) – Hollywood Reporter
What happened on Sunday, June 4, on the set of Bachelor in Paradise?
One week later on Sunday, June 11, Warner Bros. announced that it had suspended production on the upcoming fourth season of the Bachelor spinoff. “We have become aware of allegations of misconduct on the set of Bachelor in Paradise in Mexico,” said the production company behind the ABC hit. “We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations. Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action.”
The alleged incident occurred on June 4, the first day of filming at a resort in Sayulita, Mexico, and is said to have involved a sexual encounter between two castmembers who had been drinking, Corinne Olympios, 25, and DeMario Jackson, 30. A producer who suspected misconduct on the set followed protocol and reported it to his or her supervisor at Warner Bros. It is unclear if the producer witnessed the incident or saw footage of the encounter, which was captured on tape, before filing the complaint that set the investigation in motion. Despite circulating reports suggesting otherwise, Olympios appears “lucid” in the footage, say sources.
What happened to the cast?
Production continued for a second day with castmembers, including Olympios and Jackson, continuing to go about their show business. Some contestants continued the show journey, leaving the resort to go on one-on-one dates. Once the complaint was filed, Olympios and Jackson were the first contestants to be questioned and dismissed from the Sayulita resort, say sources. After questioning the remaining cast and crew one by one — 20 castmembers (only 16 had previously been announced by ABC) and 25 crewmembers — all of the castmembers were returned their phones (no social media devices are allowed while filming) and flew out of Puerto Vallarta on Sunday, with most arriving back home in the U.S. by Monday.
Have charges been filed?
No charges have yet been filed and law enforcement is not involved. The investigation remains an internal one, conducted by Warners.
Who are Olympios and Jackson?
Bachelor in Paradise reunites former castoffs of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette in hopes they find love with other stars of the franchise. Olympios, 25, hails from Nick Viall’s season of The Bachelor earlier this year and Jackson, 30, was recently eliminated on Rachel Lindsay’s season of The Bachelorette, which is currently airing. Jackson was kicked off the show on the May 29 episode when it was revealed to Lindsay that he had an unfinished relationship back home. Olympios placed fourth on Viall’s season and was labeled as the season “villain” for her onscreen antics.
What have Olympios and Jackson said?
Jackson has been active on his Twitter feed since returning home, but didn’t publicly address the situation until he was approached while out in Los Angeles on Tuesday: “I have nothing to say. You know, Corinne’s an awesome girl and that’s all I have to say.” Olympios hired a top Hollywood publicist and attorney, Stan Rosenfield and Marty Singer, respectively, and released a statement on Wednesday:
“I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened the June 4. Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production. As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality. As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening.”
Shortly after Olympios released her statement, Jackson officially broke his silence. “It’s unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations,” he said in a statement to E! News. “I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws.”