AP Was There: Princess Diana dies in Paris car crash – Washington Post

 In Entertainment
PARIS — The way Princess Diana died 20 years ago this month — in a high-speed Paris car crash while she and her boyfriend were being chauffeured by an intoxicated driver and pursued by photographers — shocked and angered the public. It also preserved her in memory as a glamorous, beloved and vulnerable victim.

Nearly two decades after its original publication, The Associated Press is making available correspondent Christopher Burns’ August 31, 1997 report on the catastrophic accident that ended Diana’s life at age 36.


Britain’s Princess Diana, who had been struggling to build a new life after her turbulent divorce, died Sunday in a car crash after being pursued at high speed by paparazzi on motorcycles.

Her wealthy companion, Dodi Fayed, and their chauffeur also died when their Mercedes crashed in a tunnel along the Seine River at the Pont de l’Alma bridge, just north of the Eiffel Tower.

French police placed into formal custody seven photographers who had previously been detained, looking into whether any of them may have caused the tragedy. A special police unit that usually handles important cases such as terrorism investigations was put in charge of the probe.

The 36-year-old princess has often complained of being plagued by the paparazzi the commercial photographers who have trailed her since she has been in the public eye.

She died at 4 a.m. (0200 GMT) from internal bleeding stemming from major chest and lung injuries, doctors told a hospital news conference.

Despite extensive surgery, “we could not revive her,” said Dr. Bruno Riou, anesthesiologist at Paris’ Hospital de la Pitie Salpetriere.

He said Diana had quickly gone into cardiac arrest, and that doctors had tried to save her for at least two hours with internal and external cardiac massage. She never regained consciousness after the crash, French radio said.

Princes William and Harry were informed of their mother’s death by their father, Prince Charles, at Balmoral Castle, Scotland, where the royal family traditionally spends the summer holidays.

Queen Elizabeth II and the Prince of Wales said they were “deeply shocked and distressed by this terrible news” a Buckingham Palace spokesman said.

Prince Charles, accompanied by Diana’s two sisters, was to travel to Paris later Sunday to accompany her body back to Britain, Buckingham Palace said. President Jacques Chirac and his wife, Bernadette, planned to meet with them late Sunday afternoon.

President Clinton expressed sorrow, saying he and his wife, Hillary, “knew Princess Diana and we were very fond of her.” In a statement from Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, where he is vacationing, Clinton said his thoughts were with Diana’s family, friends “and especially her children.”

The crash happened shortly after midnight, after Diana and Fayed had dined at the Ritz Hotel owned by Fayed’s family and were on their way to a private villa in western Paris, also owned by Fayed, French radio said.

As Diana and Fayed’s black Mercedes entered the tunnel along the Seine River, they reportedly were trailed by at least seven paparazzi on motorcycles in a high-speed pursuit of photos. Six of the photographers were French and one was Macedonian.

France’s interior minister, Jean-Pierre Chevenement, said Diana’s car was traveling at high speed through the tunnel, and the driver lost control. He didn’t specify the speed, but a source close to the investigation, speaking on condition of anonymity, said it was well over 100 kilometers per hour (60 mph). The speed limit was 50 kph (30 mph).

The source added the two were not believed to be wearing seatbelts.

It said the car crashed into a concrete post in the center divider, then bounced into the right wall. The impact decimated the car, turning it into a heap of crumpled metal and broken glass.

Chevenement said a criminal investigation was underway. France Info radio said at least some of the photographers took pictures before help arrived and one of the photographers was beaten at the scene by horrified witnesses.

Police also impounded two motorcycles and a scooter.

Fayed, the 42-year-old son of the billionaire Egyptian owner of London’s prestigious Harrod’s department store, died immediately. Also killed was the chauffeur a security agent at the Ritz Hotel, owned by Fayed’s father, Mohamed Al Fayed.

Recent Posts
Get Breaking News Delivered to Your Inbox
Join over 2.3 million subscribers. Get daily breaking news directly to your inbox as they happen.
Your Information will never be shared with any third party.
Get Latest News in Facebook
Never miss another breaking news. Click on the "LIKE" button below now!